Receive periodic news and updates relating to SpringerOpen.
Search information pages
9. Which funding agencies explicitly allow direct use of their grants to cover article-processing charges?
Many funding agencies allow the use of grants for this purpose and an increasing number, such as the Wellcome Trust, Research Council UK, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the US National Institutes for Health, strongly encourage open access publication. The following is a list of funding agencies we know of that have confirmed that they allow the payment of article-processing charges:
- Academy of Finland (Finland)
- BIOTEC (Thailand)
- California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (US)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (Canada)
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (France)
- Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas (Spain)
- Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (Italy)
- Danmarks Grundforskningsfond (Denmark)
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (Germany)
- FAPESP (Brazil)
- Fondazione Telethon (Italy)
- Fonds zur Forderung der wissenschaftlichen Forschung (Austria)
- Fonds voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek (Belgium)
- Health Research Board (Ireland)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute (US)
- Indian Council of Medical Research (India)
- INSERM (France)
- International Human Frontier Science Program Organization (International)
- Israel Science Foundation (Israel)
- Max Planck Society (Germany)
- National Health Service (UK)
- National Institutes of Health (US) Are you an NIH grantee? More details
- National Science Foundation (US)
- Nederlandse Organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek (Netherlands)
- Research Council UK (RCUK). RCUK is a strategic partnership of the UK Research Councils, which include the Medical Research Council, the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council, and the Natural Environment Research Council.
- Rockefeller Foundation (US)
- South African Medical Research Council (South Africa)
- Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research (Sweden)
- Swedish Research Council (Sweden)
- Swiss National Science Foundation (Switzerland)
- Wellcome Trust (UK) More details
- Why do SpringerOpen journals have article-processing charges?
- What do the article-processing charges pay for?
- How much is Boundary Value Problems charging?
- Does SpringerOpen offer discounts on article-processing charges?
- Are any taxes included in this charge?
- To which articles will this charge apply?
- Why a flat charge rather than one based on page numbers?
- Who is responsible for making the payment?
- Which funding agencies explicitly allow direct use of their grants to cover article-processing charges?
- How do I pay?
- Can charges be waived if the author cannot pay?
- Will I have to pay if my institution is a Member?
- Will the APC rate I am given at submission change?
- Do authors from low-income countries have to pay APCs?